Mind Mapping and Project Management
Developing a project management mind map to support project management has been a relatively new topic over the past 10 years. Project management as a profession has been around since the 1960s yet applying mind mapping to project management is a relatively young concept. (Just look at your PM deliverables in Word, Excel or a Powerpoint format vs. a visual mind map format).
Mind mapping is a visual thinking technique that uses nodes, colors and branches to convey ideas. Maps can be used to communicate strategic vision, tactical plans or simple roadmaps with enticing graphics and colors. They can also be a simple network of circles and lines to diagram an idea or a summarize a topic.
I’ve found apply mind mapping to project management to be an effective technique to brainstorm project scope, develop an initial work breakdown structure, develop organization charts and project roadmaps. Over the years, I’ve been able to share these a variety of technology blogs including projectmanagement.com, techrepublic.com and several leading mind mapping software vendors.
The team at Biggerplate.com asked me to talk about applying mind mapping to project management for one of their webinars. If you ever wondered how and where mind mapping should be applied across the project lifecycle, then listen to this webinar as I walk through the project management mind map.
Mind Mapping Across the Project Lifecycle Webinar
This webinar was recorded for the Biggerplate Business Club. Save $10 on Business Club membership at Biggerplate when you use the code MAKAR10 today! To find out more, visit https://www.biggerplate.com/bu
You can also download the mind map version of this presentation at Biggerplate.com
- MindGenius https://www.biggerplate.com/mindmaps/pnR05FdL/mind-mapping-across-the-project-lifecycle
- Mindjet https://www.biggerplate.com/mindmaps/kLMQvdLf/mind-mapping-across-the-project-lifecycle
Mind Map Your Next Project Management Interview
In this lecture, I referenced the mind map technique to successfully prepare for your next project management interview. If you’d like more guidance on project manager interview questions and the mind map technique, check out my book Project Management Interview Questions Made Easy – includes resume templates, sample questions and the interview preparation technique!
Additional Project Management Mind Map Articles
If you’re looking for more articles on the topic of mind mapping and project management, consider these articles.
- 5 Reasons to Use Mind Maps on Your Next Project
- Project Schedule Control with Mindjet MindManager
- Mind Mapping Your Microsoft Project Schedule
- Mind Mapping for Efficient Project Management
- Mind Map Your Interview
- Don’t Fear the WBS
- A Better Project Map
- A PM’s Software Utility Belt
- Mind Map a Better WBS
- Mind Mapping A Better Gantt Chart View
Project Management Mind Map Articles using MindGenius
- Manage your project log in MindGenius
- Developing Useful Organization Charts
- 6 Steps from Project Scope to Schedule with MindGenius
- Improving Lessons Learned Sessions with MindGenius
- Agile Planning with MindGenius
- Develop a Scope Statement with MindGenius
- Managing a project visually with Microsoft Project and MindGenius
- Managing a Project with MindGenius Resources and Gantt Views