I’m often asked about PRACTICAL and USEFUL project management resources (in addition to our How to Use Microsoft Project tutorials). A quick search on any project management topic will reveal millions of pages to review. Fortunately, I found a few useful tools, books, blogs and other resources to help in your project delivery.
(P.S. If you have a recommended resource for the page, email me and I’ll review it!)
Microsoft Project Tutorials
Project Management Templates
- Microsoft’s Office site has a variety of community development templates at:
- If you’re looking for a library of professional project managment templates, check out the project management templates by James Leal
Project Management Books
- Project Management Interview Questions Made Easy
- The Way We’re Working Isn’t Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance
- Neal Whitten’s No-Nonsense Advice For Successful Projects
- Business Driven PMO Setup: Practical Insights, Techniques and Case Examples for Ensuring Success
- The One-Page Project Manager: Communicate and Manage Any Project With a Single Sheet of Paper
- The One Page Project Manager for IT Projects: Communicate and Manage Any Project With A Single Sheet of Paper
- Lifescripts: What to Say to Get What You Want in Life’s Toughest Situations
- Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises (Agile Software Development Series)
- Agile Software Development with Scrum (Series in Agile Software Development)
- The Software Project Manager’s Bridge to Agility (Agile Software Development Series)
- Fire Your Boss
You can find a lot of presentations, white papers and books on PMO management with a quick Google search. A lot of PPM software vendors provide useful white papers and their vision of PMO implementation. Ofcourse, each implementation looks best in their tool but their white papers provide a good framework. Take a look at:
Below are 3 books that I recommend to anyone looking to start a PMO.
- The Program Management Office: Establishing, Managing And Growing the Value of a PMO by Craig Letavec
- The Project Office: A Key to Managing Projects Effectively
- Business Driven PMO Setup: Practical Insights, Techniques and Case Examples for Ensuring Success by Mark Price Perry
There is even a podcast dedicated to the art of the PMO! Mark Price Perry hosts this podcast and it is definitely worth a listen! Ofcourse, I’m kinda partial to episode #135
Project Management Software
LiquidPlanner is a leader in innovative scheduling and collaboration for project management solutions.
Other excellent PM Lite web-based solutions include:
Also, if you’re looking for a lite Portfolio Management solution, PPM Roadmap has a promising solution.
Project Management Sharepoint Solutions
If your company has invested into Microsoft Sharepoint or if you’re looking for a Sharepoint based project management framework, check out:
Project Management Mind Mapping Software
Over the years, I’ve written frequently about applying mind mapping techniques to project management. Below are 3 packages you must try!
Mind Mapping Templates
Biggerplate provides thousands of mind map templates and examples, including a large number for Project Management, all available to view and download for free!
- Gantthead.com – Project Management for IT Managers
- [email protected] – Project Management for all audiences
- TechRepublic IT Leadership Blog
- Liquid Planner Blog
- Herding Cats – Glen Alleman’s Project Management Blog
- PM Connection – Connects the Project Management World with a lot of useful links, articles and resources