In this Microsoft Project tutorial, you’ll identify invalid milestones using by creating an invalid milestone custom filter.
In this Microsoft Project tutorial, you’ll learn how to identify invalid summary tasks in a project schedule by building custom filters. We want to identify any summary tasks that have a predecessor and any summary tasks that have resources assigned.
Learn how to improve your project schedule quality with 19 Microsoft Project schedule quality assessment checks including the DCMA 14 point assessment
One of the key lessons learned with Microsoft Project is to build a dynamic project schedule. A dynamic schedule is properly sequenced and is free of any task constraints. As the project executes, the Start and Finish dates will adjust based on the actual start/finish and actual work/duration recorded in the schedule.
If you are preparing for the PMP exam, you are achievement-oriented and want to improve your knowledge and skills in the project management profession. The PMP is a well-recognized certification for Project Managers across multiple industries and is definitely worth pursuing for a successful PM career. How will you prepare for the PMP exam? If […]
I often receive requests for specific tutorials on how to customize Microsoft Project. Creating custom filters, views and tables to help identify late tasks, schedule quality issues or track progress are all part of a project manager’s tool kit. With every new project, the PM can use a customized MS Project template to manage the […]
Creating a management report that project status within a program or portfolio often requires Microsoft PowerPoint or 3rd party software to develop a project dashboard. Executive management simply wants to see status at a glance and spending unnecessary time creating great looking PowerPoint or Visio diagrams just adds to the project manager’s administrative burden. Wouldn’t […]
In 2003, I got my first glance at web-based project management tools and loved the features including the top-down management view with the bottom up details that drive project delivery. The ease of integration seemed like a PMBOK-infused nirvanah where people, data and projects all come together. Fast forward ten years later and the technology […]
What are your effective project management habits? Take our 5 Question Survey.
Ever since the launch of my book, Project Management Interview Questions Made Easy, I received a lot of requests for supplemental materials including project manager resumes, sample templates, a structured interview guide and checklists to help prepare for a project manager interview. I’ve put together a Project Manager Interview Questions Tool Kit that will help […]
- Project Management Hacks, Tips and Tricks April 26, 2013
- Import Excel Into Microsoft Project April 14, 2010
- Finding Late Tasks with Microsoft Project Custom Filters April 6, 2012
- Using Microsoft Project Fixed Duration, Fixed Work and Fixed Unit Type Fields July 12, 2005
- PMO Issues – Does a PMO Help or Hinder? June 6, 2007
- Project Schedule Quality 103: Finding Invalid Milestones October 19, 2014
- Project Schedule Quality 102: Finding Invalid Summary Tasks October 19, 2014
- Project Schedule Quality 101: 14 Ways to Improve Your Project Schedule October 16, 2014
- Using Deadlines in Microsoft Project October 15, 2014
- PMP Exam Prep: How to Prepare for the PMP Exam Online June 18, 2014